Warehouse Design and Operations: Overview
Bisham Consulting’s team includes highly experienced warehouse design and operations consultants. As the team have previously all held senior operational roles they are able to provide realistic and robust solutions.
The range of warehousing solutions that Bisham Consulting provide is enormous. It extends from an operational team analysing a live warehouse and providing solutions for improving warehouse operations efficiency though to a complete warehouse design and implementation of automated high bay operations. Bisham consultants are able to provide independent recommendations on all aspects of warehouse design.
- Warehouse management systems and operations including MHE (Mechanical Handling Equipment),
- Racking layout,
- Automation, and mechanisation to provide robust and realistic solutions. As a result space will be maximised, time will be saved and wastage will be reduced.
Warehouse Design and Operations: Service Elements
Warehouse Design and Layouts
- Developing new warehouse sites –maximising the use of ground space, available heights and providing logical traffic flows
- Design and modifications to conventional and automated warehouses
- Optimising costs of space, equipment and labour to provide solutions which suit client’s criteria
- Building in flexibility and growth potential if required
- Remodelling existing operations –to cope with changes in throughput and stock profiles
- Improving warehouse layout efficiency –checking, routes, storage densities, material handling equipment options, and the ergonomics of manual operations
Automated and Manual Handling Systems
- Improving operating efficiency
- Analysing costs, benefits and risks
- Proposing commercial solutions which make best use of existing resources and capital
- Identifying cost savings and improving customer service
- Sourcing suppliers, managing tenders and advising on implementation
- Works programming will result in improved performance
- Budgetary control will mean better profitability
- Integration of contractor’s activities will reduce wastage
- Implementation including recruitment, training and support will help achieve better results at lower cost
Examples of some of our warehouse design projects:-
Warehouse Design: 35,000 square metre warehouse
This particular case involved the design of a new 35,000 m2 for a major retail food chain. It included designing separate compartments to accommodate food products at various temperatures: ambient, temperature controlled fresh foods and vegetables, chilled including specification of equipment and frozen including specification of equipment. Loading docks for cross docking together with both incoming traffic and despatch were designed to allow for external traffic flows and parking.
Warehouse Design: 30,000 Pallet Capacity Warehouse
This case required identification of the optimum location on the site together with assessment of optimum shape and height.
Project Management of a 32 Metre High Automated Warehouse
This involved the project management of a 32m high fully automated storage and retrieval facility using a double decked crane system capable of achieving a throughput of 20,00 units per hour; the first such system built in Europe. The project was completed on time and within budget.
Operating Efficiency Review of an Automated European Distribution Centre
This case was an efficiency review of a fully automated storage and retrieval facility. The centre provided high bay pallet storage coupled with a tray system for small items with conveyors to both packing areas and end sortation. The project included re-engineering of systems and setting up a mathematical model for manpower planning and productivity.
Redesign of Raw Materials Stores
This involved the storage of several different pallet sizes with varying stack height capabilities to serve a high speed processing and packing operation.