Automotive consultants: An Overview
All businesses are used to change but nothing could have prepared the automotive industry for the challenges it now faces. The deck is being reshuffled and companies that have been in existence for decades are now having to readjust.
For many, it is a real threat. For others, it is a real opportunity.
Driverless cars, electrification and the end of the combustion engine? well, they say it comes in threes. The knock-on effect of these changes to manufacturing will ripple across the entire industry and the industries that support it. Customer loyalty can no longer be guaranteed. Customer satisfaction is the top priority.
It is not unreasonable to say the stakes for this sector have never been higher.
Bisham Consultants have decades of experience in automotive consultancy for many leading brands. Our extensive consulting services for the automotive business extend to:
- Automotive Manufacturing.
- Automotive Retailers.
- Technology Providers.
We cover Inbound to Manufacturing Logistics and the all-important Aftermarket as well. This experience has been established over 30 years in operational management, solution design and supply chain consulting.
The automotive industry is now facing the biggest challenges it has seen in decades. Electrification and autonomous driving are literally turning the industry on its head. So, new market-leaders will appear very quickly. Traditional brands that we have all grown up with face extermination if they do not change quickly.
The Automotive Sector has always been a complex mix of global supply chains and high service-level requirements. So all automotive companies will always have the challenge of synchronising variable and volatile demand with supply.
The logistics challenge has certainly increased greatly in recent years. The automotive industry is constantly driven by the need to introduce new models more rapidly. It needs to retain production flexibility and adapt quickly to market changes.
So, in many respects, automotive consultancy remains a very challenging balancing act. This is as true of commercial vehicles as it is in the private sector.
That is a challenge that we embrace.
We believe that we can make a real difference to the automotive industry in terms of quality and profitability. Electrification of the power train, driverless vehicles and vehicle connectivity now offer huge opportunities to everyone in this exciting sector.
Automotive Consultancy: Making a measureable difference.
Below are just some examples of our Automotive Consultancy at work.
- In-plant linefeed solutions to design and plan new more efficient linefeed solutions. So this involves part sequencing, kitting, sub-assembly, including lineside presentation and incorporating poka-yoke error proofing features.
- Automation and mechanisation initiatives. This covers automatic storage and retrieval systems, (ASRSs), Automatic Guided Vehicles (AGV), deep storage shuttle systems and “goods to man” picking systems.
- Logistics centre or DC design and layouts. So our focus here is on sizing buildings, racking layouts, resource models and incorporating relevant key requirements in material flow capacity. We also look very closely at storage density, ensuring a safe working environment, operational costs, operational flexibility, and stock rotation.
- Business case preparation for supply chain change. This covers all aspects of business case preparation, design and presentation of new solutions, financial projections, and capital requirements.
- Project management of transformational change. This establishes the programme’s workstream structure and organisation. So we conduct risk assessments, creating and managing project plans, task/action and risk logs.
- Network review and re-design. Bisham Consulting reviews the effectiveness of the existing strategic network plan and accompanying tactical planning processes. We also look closely at operational management, business models and control processes. Network re-designs are done using Bisham’s transport modelling toolset.
- ‘Rapid Diagnostic’ operational reviews. So we will identify process, productivity and non-conformance issues within logistics operations. We also review the suitability of existing IT systems in delivering cost-efficient solutions. You can read more about our consultants here.
Bisham has worked with a number of major vehicle manufacturers so you know you are in very safe hands. We have also been actively involved with first-tier suppliers. This has been both directly and through their third-party logistics partners.
Automotive advice and expertise in the auto industry.
Bisham’s consultants have conducted many optimisation projects for the auto industry in the UK, across Europe, US and globally. This is across a wide range of different market sectors. These projects have delivered the following benefits to our clients.
- Optimised supply chains in the automotive sector.
- Optimised for the service/cost trade-off determined by the business.
- A huge reduction in inefficiency and waste.
- Improved cost performance and service level delivery.
- Improved flexibility and responsiveness.
- Improved planning processes across all areas.
- Automation of processes through improved IT.
- Integration of operational processes and improved information sharing throughout the company.
- Improved, fact-based decision-making.
- Supply chain models embedded in the business. For example “cost to serve”.
- A Key Performance Indicator suite to drive continuous improvement of supply chain performance.
- Ability to maintain optimisation level as the business changes. Something that is guaranteed in the auto industry.
Also, very important to us, improved cost visibility.